No one goes into marriage thinking about what kind of divorce attorney they will need to hire down the road. For most, marriage is a sacred union and their vows are taken seriously – “till death do us part.”
Unfortunately, approximately half of all marriages end in divorce. The reasons for divorce vary, but the need for a good lawyer is universal. Your future, your children’s wellbeing, and your assets are things in which your divorce attorney will play a role. Choosing the right attorney is highly important. So how do you choose the right one?
5 Qualities to Look for In a Divorce Attorney
There are many things to look for when choosing an attorney: cost, experience, success rate. While these are important, there are some traits to consider as well.
- They Don’t Push You To Do Something That Makes You Uncomfortable. Some attorneys have a win-at-any-cost attitude. They may push for you to do something to put your ex in a bad light in order to get more money out of the divorce. While you want what is rightfully yours, you shouldn’t be pushed by your divorce attorney to do something you’re don’t agreement with.
- They’re Supportive… When you make a decision your attorney should support you. Your lawyer works for you and should do everything that is in your best interests, which at times means conceding to your decisions.
- …And Understanding. Divorce is difficult and your divorce attorney should be sensitive to this. Instead of treating you like a paycheck, your lawyer should be sympathetic and never make you feel guilty about having a bad day or finding it difficult to go through the divorce process.
- They Communicate. One of the most important qualities to look for is good communication. Your divorce attorney should communicate regularly, completely and honestly. In turn, you should feel free to communicate openly with them. Glenn Curtis of Investopedia.com says that a communicative lawyer will be more responsive to your needs and concerns. Good mutual communication results in less misunderstandings and mistakes, which in turn results in less stress for you.
- A Good Reputation. A good reputation is proof that your divorce attorney is good at their job. They’re thorough, they care about their clients and they make clients feel supported. Of course, a good reputation isn’t the only thing to look for, but often the reason a divorce attorney such a reputation is because they have most, if not all, of the above qualities.
The Right Divorce Attorney—One of the Most Important Decisions You Can Make
There is a lot at stake in a divorce. Your whole life is involved –children, money, assets, the family home. Choosing the right divorce attorney can do much to ease your mind. They offer support throughout the process and work hard to ensure you get what you deserve. Don’t simply pick a random name out of the phone book. Check online reviews to gauge their reputation and consult with them before you hire them. Make sure the attorney you choose is one you can trust with the most important things in your life.