It would be great if parents could agree upon child custody during a divorce, but that’s not often the case. When needed, the court will consider all relevant factors including acts of domestic violence between the parties, the safety of the child, and the safety of either party from domestic violence by the other party and will ultimately make the custody arrangement. We ready to support you through every step of the process.

There’s no assumption that one parent is more fit for custody than the other, so it’s important you have an experienced attorney represent your interests. Child custody can be modified at any time, but you don’t want to miss any more time with your child than absolutely necessary. That’s the way we see it here at the Law Office of John C. Fitzpatrick.

How does Joint Custody Work?


Joint custody is considered upon the request of either parent. The court may decide against it, even if the parents are in agreement. If the court finds that domestic violence has occurred, the court shall enter such orders that best protect the children and party who were the victims of domestic violence. If a party is absent or relocates with or without the children because of an act of domestic violence, the absence or relocation shall not be a factor that weighs against the party in determining custody or visitation.

North Carolina laws provide for self representation in child custody hearings, but the complexity is the process and the rules of the court are best navigated by an experienced family law lawyer. Don’t risk the custody of your children.

Child Support in North Carolina

The court will determine the amount of child support payments by applying the North Carolina child support guidelines. If, after considering the evidence, the Court finds by the greater weight of the evidence that the application of the guidelines would not meet or would exceed the reasonable needs of the child considering the relative ability of each parent to provide support or would be otherwise unjust or inappropriate the Court may vary from the guidelines.

Call 919-683-9500 to speak to an attorney. The Law Firm of John C. Fitzpatrick helps parents with child custody issues in Durham County.

Leave a Comment